Property Taxes!!! To determine the amount of revenue required from property taxes, The City of Leduc, takes the overall expenses and subtracts all other sources of revenue. Revenue sources such as license fees, permits, user fees and provincial grants. The amount that’s left is what needs to be raised through municipal property taxes.
The city of Leduc has however voted to not increase the property taxes this year. But did you know that that could mean that your taxes could still go up.
The Residential taxes are made up of 2 parts, 27% is collected on behalf of the Alberta Government on behalf of education, which leaves 73% to go to the city for its expenses.
Of that 73% that goes to the city it is split between fixed and variable costs.
Fixed costs are 53% of the of that.
The fixed costs are:
- Mayor and Council
- Corporate and Legislative
- Engineer Service
- Planning Service
- Facility Service
- Debt Repayment
- Capital transfer
That leave 47% as a variable cost. These variable costs are brought to council and council votes on. It is also what they put the survey out for so that they know what we would like as a community.
The variable cost breakdown is:
- 22% Police and Protective Service
- 20% Fire and Ambulance
- 15% Public Service
- 9% Community Development
- 9% Parks and Athletics
- 8% Public Transportation
- 6% Leduc Rec Center
- 5% Snow Removal
- 4% Library
- 2% Family and Community Support
The budget presentations take a few weeks, so if there is something that you would like to see make sure you attend next year or fill out the survey the put out every year. You could also join a board as well. Many of the items on the variable list have a board that dictates what they do with the funds and they look for new members, and new perspectives. So now you know!!!
We hope you enjoyed this article about “Property Taxes!!!”